Thursday, August 1, 2013

"Blurred Lines" Parody with Mod Carousel

I don’t know too much about #RobinThicke besides, mainly, the fact that he has made a major transformation since his first popular release some years back (he was more of a grungy/hippy/soul singer). However, I do know that his song “Blurred Lines” has been a hit since its release this summer. I suppose part of that success is due to the video for the track that features nude, or at least nearly naked, women marching across a screen in front of Thicke and his crew (Pharrell and T.I.). The video seemed to have sparked a slight controversy due to the blunt objectification of women, but I’m still at a loss as to why so many people were shocked or surprised by such displays; sexy women and music have been tied together since the beginning of MTV, and even before. This curious uproar aside, and I am not saying the exploitation of the female form and the messages therein are okay, I do find this parody video featuring genderbending burlesque from Mod Carousel to be a much fitter representation of the idea of “blurred lines” when it comes to matters of sex, gender, sexuality, and identity. Check it OUT!

No comments: